This is a list of the sites that I recommend for those seeking Confirmation in the United Church of Canada. I suggest that you explore these sites a bit at a time. I don’t want you to be overwhelmed by the volume of it all. Of course, I’ll be modifying this list as I discover other sites. The purpose of this distance-learning approach is not to eliminate personal contact, but to reduce the traditional class time associated with confirmation classes. People have very full schedules today and it is difficult to find a time for everyone to get together. So, I would like you to look at these sites, make notes and questions, and then we can come together to discuss all of the information that I consider important, as well as those items that interest you. I’ve divided the list into nine parts: United Church of Canada General Information, Belief, History, Scripture, Sacraments, Theology, Weekly Readings, UCC Faith in Action and World Religions. If you discover other sites that could be helpful, please let me know. If you are clergy considering this program for people in your congregation you will probably want to tailor it to meet your specific needs. I caution, however, that you not add so many sites that your people find it daunting. Please forward to me any sites that you find interesting. Too, I’m sorry for the commercial nature of some of the sites. And, of course, I wish you all God’s blessing on the journey. United Church of Canada General Information I recommend you read these thoroughly.
Don’t be overwhelmed here. There’s no need to study this in detail. Just try to get an overview of the material. These are the original twenty articles of faith that expressed our belief at the time of union in 1925. This is not the language we use today to express our faith but it was our beginning. Read these statements as ask yourself how you would express it.
- The Basis of Union | The United Church of Canada
- Here you will find the most recent statements of faith for the United Church of Canada: A New Creed | The United Church of Canada, ‘Song of Faith’. (This is a long one)
Overview of Christian Creeds and Beliefs
The History of Christian Thought
You need not read all of these in depth. Select one and scan the others. Christianity Chronology – I have included several sites here because each is unique.
- Timeline of Christianity – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Timeline of Christian History
- Church history – Theopedia, an encyclopedia of Biblical Christianity
This is a basic understanding and a good place to begin.
- Overview of Beliefs | The United Church of Canada (Click on Sacraments)
- Sacrament Wikipedia: Sacrament -Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- I found this to be a basic well written article: Reading the New Testament from a theological … – Acta Theologica
- An Introduction to Christian Theology An Introduction to Christian Theology
- This site gives the readings for each week in a three-year cycle: Revised Common Lectionary
- This one gives some background into each of the weekly readings of the Revised Common Lectionary: The Text This Week – Revised Common Lectionary, Scripture Study …
- Exegetical Notes by Brian Stoffregen – CrossMarks Christian …
UCC Faith in Action
- This is from the Justice Global & Ecumenical Relations page at The United Church of Canada website: Social Justice | The United Church of Canada
- This is from the United Church of Christ which is our sister Church in the United States. Justice Issues – United Church of Christ
- This is my contribution: Social Justice Lectionary – By: Reverend Doctor Bruce Sweet
- Major religious groups – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you click on a religion it will give you a time-line connection. Further selections will provide brief descriptions of the smaller groups of each faith expression.
- Overview of World Religions Project – Philtar